Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

An exercise in beauty

Laura over at Catholic Cravings came up with this idea to write a poem about our beauty. She provided the template and we fill in the blanks. I decided it would be a good exercise for me in seeing my beauty. Not gonna lie, it was awkward writing this, and I feel even more awkward that people might read it, but I think it is good. No, it is necessary. It is so important that women realize they are beautiful in their own ways. We should not be afraid to be beautiful. We shouldn't feel like we are being prideful in recognizing our beauty. Beauty is innate in all of us.  I highly suggest writing a poem for yourself, even if you want to just to it privately. It helps you to realize a lot. So without further ado, here is my poem. 

I am beautiful.
I am beautiful because I am made in the image of God, who makes me strong when I am weak. I am beautiful inside and out, for He didn’t just make my soul but my body too. All of me, body and soul, is His image. 
I am beautiful because my hair is thick and wavy, my eyes are big and deep; they remind me of how strong and thoughtful I am. 
And because I play 3 instruments.
I was beautiful when I would sit on the swing with my grandma and listen to her singing.
I am beautiful because my skin is flawed and my wrists are weak.
I am beautiful like sun beams in the woods on a Fall day.
I am beautiful when I smile.
I am beautiful when I receive Holy Communion and when I am singing praise and worshipI am beautiful when I laugh and when I mourn, when I pray the Divine Mercy Chapletwhispering  'For the sake of His sorrowful passion' to Him who is so beautiful. 
I am beautiful when I wear my one shoulder black dress and pearl earrings.
I was beautiful even when I did not see it. Though I bought into the lies that I wasn't good enough, I was beautiful.
I am beautiful still.
I don’t know whether my eyes are doves behind my veil, or my hair like a flock of goats descending from Gilead. But in my own way, my own Maggie-way, I am beautiful. Perhaps, I am beautiful like a vintage photograph or like waves crashing against the shore at sunset.
I am definitely not beautiful because I am perfect. I am not perfect, inwardly or outwardly. I have flaws enough.
But I am beautiful.
For I am loved by God, and love is in my heart, and where there is love:
there is beauty.


*********And here is the template for anyone wishing to do their own!***********
I am beautiful.
I am beautiful because I am made in the image of God, who [quote or paraphrase a  bit of your favourite bible verse1 ]. I am beautiful inside and out, for He didn’t just make my soul but my body too. All of me, body and soul, is His image. 
I am beautiful because my [a feature I like about yourself] is/are [two descriptive words]. [x3]: [describe how they remind you of you] as I am. 
And because [something that's an odd quirk you have or trick you can do].
I was beautiful when [one of your earliest memory].
I am beautiful because [describe two things you don't like about your body].
I am beautiful like [a favourite thing] in [your favourite place] on a [your favourite season] day/night.
I am beautiful when I smile.
I am beautiful when I receive Holy Communion and [favourite thing about being a Christian]. I am beautiful when I laugh and when I mourn, when I pray the [favourite prayer], whispering [favourite bit from that prayer] to Him/her who is so beautiful. 
I am beautiful when I wear my [fun thing to wear] and [favourite piece of jewelry].
I was beautiful even when I did not see it. Though I [describe any negative body image but only if you want], I was beautiful.
I am beautiful still.
I don’t know whether my eyes are doves behind my veil, or my hair like a flock of goats descending from Gilead. But in my own way, my own [name]-way, I am beautiful. Perhaps, I am beautiful like a [beautiful man-made object you can see] or like a [beautiful natural thing or moment you can see].
I am definitely not beautiful because I am perfect. I am not perfect, inwardly or outwardly. I have flaws enough.
But I am beautiful.
For I am loved by God, and love is in my heart, and where there is love:
there is beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment