Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

NAS: Engagements

Linking with the Not Alone Series again :) 

Do you struggle with balancing the sting of hearing about yet another proposal with genuine excitement? What emotions come into play? What virtues do you enlist to deal with it all?

I often find it hard not to get bitter at other people's relationships. However, I find it a LOT easier to be excited for people when I avoid a few things: 
1) Facebook. I'm not saying I boycott it completely, but the more I get sucked into the virtual world of comparison, the more I put myself down. I need to check myself and make sure I'm not spending too much time looking at what other people have, especially because I have a ton of awesome things going for me right now! 
2) Too much self reflection. The times when I am looking too much into myself, and not enough at God and  the needs of those around me, I find that I am much less satisfied with my place in life. That is when I have the tendency to complain or become envious of others. I am the kind of person who LOVES analyzing myself, so this is a hard one for me. I often can become very much lost in my thoughts, which can sometimes lead to a downward spiral of emotions. On the flip side though, it helps me to be very aware how I react to things, and I can keep myself in check. It is a gift and a curse ;) 

And one more phrase that has been fueling me: Don't let anyone steal your joy. Someone once told me that my greatest attributes are how loving and caring I am, but I need to be careful not to let those go. They will be my greatest strengths one day. I need to hold onto them.

Obviously, I don't want to be bitter toward anyone engaged, so those are the few things I try to avoid. And of course, above all, remain rooted in prayer. I want to rejoice with my friends, not be secretly envious behind their backs. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 


5 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on the whole Facebook thing. I just deleted over 100 of my "friends" on Facebook because realistically I'm just looking at all these people I used to go to school and university with, comparing myself to them and then feeling crap about it! It's not worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I should probably go through and delete people as well. Not a bad idea! I'm the same way, I just add them so I can look at what they're up to. Not healthy! Thanks for the thought!!

      Delete
  2. AH! YES!
    A missionary friend told me to never let anyone steal my peace, but the same is for your joy! We need to be so vigilant to not allow ANYTHING come between us and the gifts of the Lord! Thank you for that reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, loved your post! I feel like the two that you mentioned: Facebook and self-reflection, are definitely two areas where I also struggle. I think that you gave such good reminders that it's so important to be thankful with where we are in life and not to compare which isn't always easy! Your little saying is a great one that I need to start saying too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too much self reflection and don't let anyone steal your joy---two great things to chew on.

    ReplyDelete