Here are some facts, resources, and also some of my favorite organizations if you or someone you know is struggling.
• "Up to 24 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder (anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder) in the U.S."
• "Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness"
• "25% of college-aged women engage in bingeing and purging as a weight-management technique"
• "Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents"
- Sources and more stats here
As you can see, this is a huge problem.
Click on the picture to enlarge. There are more infographics here.
Of course, there is Eating Disorders Anonymous which has TONS of resources on their site, as well as packets to start your own support group.
My all time favorite though would have to be Made in His Image. They have since branched out from speaking on strictly eating disorders, but they provide frequent blog posts on femininity, being your authentic self, healing, and recently added a section geared toward men. There is so much more than just these topics though, all from a perspective of finding your worth in Christ. It really is such a beautiful ministry. I highly recommend checking it out, even if you aren't struggling! Anyone could use the truths that they convey.
My hope in providing awareness about this illness is that those who are suffering will know that they are not alone, and that there is hope and healing to be found! Also so that people can recognize symptoms in those around them and have the courage to speak up. Together, we can defeat the ramifications of our culture and help one another to realize our worth and beauty.
Note: I am happy to answer any questions or provide more resources if anyone is interested.